Monday, July 12, 2010

Mixed Feelings and Goodbyes

It's July! I find it hard to believe that I'll be leaving Korea in less than a month. I've had some really tough times here, but I've also been very happy. When I arrived, I had been depressed for months. This place brought me out of a dark time. As cliche as it sounds, I found myself again.

This week is my last week of regular classes; I start summer camp next week. I've been saying a lot of goodbyes, and each time I'm surprised how emotional I get. The first time, my coteacher asked me to give a goodbye speech to a class of second-year boys. I didn't expect to get choked up, but the minute I started speaking I could feel my throat closing up, so I spoke as quickly as I could to get through it. These boys had been rowdy, and apathetic, and hard to teach, but they were sweet. "You good teacher," "Don't go!" "I love you," they said as they lined up to leave. I was truly touched. I realized I would miss them, like all of my classes.

My students have helped to give me back my confidence. I had lost it somewhere along the way. Maybe it was in university, or maybe even before then. I feel like now I can go back home and really start my life. Before coming here, I don't know that I was really living. I think I was holding myself back, because I didn't feel good enough. I never thought I'd actually be grateful for the recession, but it gave me the push I needed to take a chance on myself and move to Korea. I'm happy to say it paid off.

Last Post?

This may be my last post from Korea. I'm glad I started this blog, even if it was late, because it has given me a chance to communicate my thoughts and feelings. It's been more helpful than I thought. I may start another blog when I get home. Look at me - I'm becoming a regular blogger! Who would have thunk it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not going to say much because I rather to tell you in person when I see you next. That will definately include a huge bear hug from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the day you set foot in Vancouver again. I missed having a buddy that I can bug at any time, haha. Kevin's a poor replacement.

    Selfishness aside, I'm glad you were able to have this experience. I know how you were in the months before you decided to take it on. You know what this means though. You are now OLDER and WISER. Older, mostly. HAR HAR

    ReplyDelete