I haven't written since February. It's not that I haven't thought about writing, but there hasn't been much to write about. I've continued teaching, and it's still challenging. I've been sick, and I survived. It was hard not having people to whine to, and generally being a big baby. Of course I miss home and my family and friends constantly, but when I was sick I especially felt it.
March was a difficult month. I was sick for 2 weeks, and basically stayed home most of the time. Maybe that's what sparked the homesickness, and general displeasure about being here. There are times when I have an intense desire for the familiar instead of the alien, which welcomes me every time I turn on the TV or leave my apartment. I know this is probably just a passing feeling; besides, I only have a few months left here anyway.
Hopefully I'll have more to write about next time, and it'll be more exciting stuff. My friends are coming over from Vancouver next month, so that's something to look forward to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is precisely why I tried my best to turn my apartment into an equivalent of a Canadian apartment -- once you step in here, you hear English on TV or radio, with no sign of Korean anywhere (except certain places where it can't be avoided). It's a sanctuary and the ultimate English immersion experience.
ReplyDeleteSo once I return home, I can really let go for a while and forget about the Korean world.
I wish I could have sent you some chicken soup!! or myself! You can whine to me anytime so pick up that phone or e-mail!
ReplyDeleteI can understand now why my mom can't live without her Japanese shows, music and food. I won't make a fuss to change the channel when she's watching her japanese show now. It must be hard to live without these....thanks for sharing :)