This is my first ever "blog". I never thought I'd do one, but over the last 6 months I've done many things that I never expected to do. For one, I moved to Seoul in August to teach English (It would have made sense to start writing a blog when I got here, but being an over-thinker, I took my time deciding if it was right for me). The title of this blog is "Better Late Than Never" not only because I started it later than I should have, but also because I feel like I'm really starting my life late. When I say that, I mean that I feel like I'm an active participant now, and not just a passive bystander. This blog is one way that I'm trying to be more active and present in my life.
Some Thoughts on Seoul
Seoul is a city full of energy. I feel like there is an ever-present atmosphere of change and movement. Things move so quickly around me, unlike back home in Vancouver where everyone seems to go about their lives at a more leisurely pace. Here, there is a constant rush to move forward. The students I teach are perpetually on the go to tutorials, "Academy", or some other extracurricular activity that will improve their chances of moving forward. Cars on the street pass by frenetically in a rush to get somewhere. People bustle past me in crowded streets to hurriedly catch buses and taxis, all to move forward to some unknown destination. This is symbolic of Korea's rise as a preeminent economic power in Asia; this never-ending desire to move forward. It inspires one to move forward, as well, but I think that it is also important to stop and smell the roses. This is a balance that Korea needs to strike: move forward, take chances, but stop long enough to truly understand where it's going.
Well, this is the end of my very first blog entry. Let's hope I have something interesting to write, soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's great that you started this! Testing on comment post.
ReplyDeleteHey Kavita! I like your blog. I love how you describe life in Korea.
ReplyDeleteHi K-town! This nickname has a double meaning now that you're in Korea ;) I too am inspired by your blog and the adventures you're sharing about Korea. Love it!
ReplyDelete